VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale V6.5
This five-day course will teach you advanced skills for configuring and maintaining a highly available and scalable virtual infrastructure. Through a mix of lecture and hands-on labs, you will configure and optimize the vSphere features that build a foundation for a truly scalable infrastructure, and you will discuss when and where these features have the greatest effect. Anyone who is ready to take their understanding of vSphere to a deeper level and learn how to use advanced features and controls will greatly benefit from this course.
- Course Objectives
- Target Audience
Completion of one of the following courses:
- VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.1]
- VMware vSphere: What’s New [V5.1]
- VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V5.1]
Or equivalent knowledge and administration experience with ESXi and vCenter Server
Experience working at the command prompt is highly recommended.
By the end of the course, you should be able to do the following:
- Configure and manage ESXi networking and storage for a large and sophisticated enterprise.
- Manage changes to the vSphere environment.
- Optimize the performance of all vSphere components.
- Troubleshoot operational faults and identify their root causes.
- Use VMware vSphere® ESXi™ Shell and VMware vSphere® Management Assistant (vMA) to manage vSphere.
- Use VMware vSphere® Auto Deploy™ to provision ESXi hosts.
Note: About one-third of the VMware vSphere: What’s New [V5.1] course content is repeated in this course. The scalability topics in VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V5.1] are repeated in this course.
Experienced system administrators and system integrators
1 Course Introduction
2 VMware Management Resources
- Introductions and course logistics
- Course objectives
3 Performance in a Virtualized Environment
- Configure vMA
- Understand the esxcli and vicfg commands
- Configure ESXi technical support mode and SSH access
- Understand important ESXi and vCenter Server log files
4 Network Scalability
- Understand the vSphere performance troubleshooting methodology
- Understand software and hardware virtualization techniques and their effects on performance
- Use vSphere performance monitoring tools
5 Network Optimization
- Create, configure, and manage vSphere distributed switches
- Migrate virtual machines from standard switches to distributed switches
- Understand distributed switch features such as PVLANs, VMware vSphere® Network I/O Control, port mirroring, and NetFlow
6 Storage Scalability
- Understand performance features of network adapters
- Understand performance features of vSphere networking
- Monitor key network performance metrics
- Use vMA to manage virtual network configuration
- Troubleshoot common network performance problems
7 Storage Optimization
- Configure storage multipathing
- Understand vSphere storage APIs for array integration and storage awareness
- Explain profile-driven storage
- Add a storage policy to a virtual machine storage profile
- Describe VMware vSphere® Storage DRS™ operation
- Configure Storage DRS and VMware vSphere® Storage I/O Control
8 CPU Optimization
- Diagnose storage access problems
- Understand how storage protocols, VMware vSphere® VMFS configuration, load balancing, and queuing affect performance
- Monitor key storage performance metrics
- Use vMA to manage virtual storage
- Troubleshoot common storage performance problems
9 Memory Optimization
- Understand CPU scheduler and other features that affect CPU performance
- Monitor key CPU performance metrics
- Troubleshoot common CPU performance problems
10 Virtual Machine and Cluster Optimization
- Understand memory reclamation techniques and overcommitment
- Monitor key memory performance metrics
- Troubleshoot common memory performance problems
11 Host and Management Scalability
- Understand performance guidelines for virtual machines, resource allocation settings, VMware vSphere® Distributed Resource Scheduler™ clusters, resource pools, and VMware vSphere® High Availability admission control policies
- Troubleshoot virtual machine power-on failures
- Troubleshoot vSphere cluster problems
- Understand how vCenter Linked Mode manages multiple vCenter Server inventories
- Explain VMware vSphere® Distributed Power Management™
- Use Host Profiles to manage ESXi configuration compliance
- Use VMware vSphere® PowerCLI™ to perform vSphere administrative tasks
- Use Image Builder to create an ESXi installation image
- Use vSphere Auto Deploy to provision ESXi hosts