Altiris Management Suite 7.1: Administration
The Symantec Management Platform 7.1 Administration course is designed for I.T. specialists tasked with installing, managing, and troubleshooting Symantec Management Platform. This five-day, instructor-led, hands-on class covers Symantec Management Platform installation and infrastructure, and how to create and configure key items in the Symantec Management Console, such as tasks, policies, organizational groups, targets, and filters. Students also learn how to run reports and replication, create a hierarchy, configure site servers, find and access data in the database, and apply troubleshooting techniques.
- Skills Gained
- Who Can Benefit
By the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Install Symantec Management Platform and Symantec Management Agent.
- Use Resource Manager to discover computers and other resources.
- Import user accounts, roles, users, computers, and other resources from Microsoft Active Directory.
- Create, manage, and administer organizational views, filters, policies, and targets.
- Set security on users and groups, and assign privileges and permissions.
- Identify and access common database tables.
- Generate custom scoped reports.
- Manage your environment using sites, site servers, and subnets.
- Design a Notification Server hierarchy.
- Run replication.
- Use tools and utilities to check the stability of the Symantec Management Platform.
This course is for system administrators responsible for installing, configuring, managing, and troubleshooting Symantec Management Platform.
Students must have basic working knowledge of Microsoft Windows and networking concepts, including LANs, network adapter cards, drivers, and operating systems. Students must also be familiar with computer hardware components such as hubs, switches, and routers. Experience using VMware is helpful but not required.
Understanding the Symantec Management Platform
- Introducing the Symantec Management Platform
- Learning about Symantec Management Platform components
- Symantec Management Platform concepts
- How the Symantec Management Platform works
- Architecture considerations for Symantec Management Platform
Installing Symantec Management Platform
- Installation requirements
- Using Symantec Installation Manager
- Installing Symantec Management Platform
- Accessing the Symantec Management Console
- Configuring settings after installation
- Managing accounts
Migrating Versions of Symantec Management Platform
- Migrating from 6.x to 7.0
- Migrating from 7.0 to 7.1
Importing from Active Directory
- Importing user accounts and roles
- Importing computers and users
- Importing other resources
- Discovering computers using the Domain Browse List
- Performing Network Discovery
Symantec Management Console
- Getting to know the Symantec Management Console
- Getting to know the Activity Center views
Installing and Setting Up the Symantec Management Agent
- Understanding the Symantec Management Agent
- Installing the Symantec Management Agent
- Verifying the Symantec Management Agent installation
- Setting Symantec Management Agent installation options
Configuring Symantec Management Agent
- Configuring Symantec Management Agent
- Determining when to use unicast and multicast
- Installing and viewing Symantec Management Agent plugins
Agent Communication with Notification Server
- Introducing Symantec Management Agent and Notification Server communication
- Symantec Management Agent data flow
- Introducing site management
- Managing sites and subnets
- Working with task service
- Working with package service
Creating and Managing Organizational Views and Groups
- Learning about organizational views
- Defining organizational groups
- Creating organizational views and groups
- Managing organizational views and groups
- Learning about security
- Distinguishing between privileges and permissions
Creating and Managing Filters
- Introducing filters
- Managing and working with predefined filters
- Building new filters using the Query Builder
- Creating filters using raw SQL
- Modifying filters
Creating and Managing Targets
- Introducing targets
- Creating a target
- Managing and working with targets
- Applying resource scoping to filters and targets
Creating and Managing Policies
- Getting to know policies
- Understanding user-based policies
- Understanding computer-based policies
- Configuring automation policies
- Managing shared schedules
Creating and Managing Tasks
- Overview of task management
- Creating and scheduling tasks
- Creating jobs
- Introducing reporting
- Introducing IT Analytics
- Learning SQL basics
- Viewing common database tables
- Generating a resource scoped report
- Creating a custom report
- Working with report results
- Understanding resources
- Using the Resource Manager
- Learning about resource scoping
- Understanding replication
- Setting up and configuring replication
- Scheduling replication
- Understanding hierarchy
- Setting up and designing a Notification Server hierarchy
- Configuring hierarchy replication
- Changing the hierarchy tree
- Learning about Symantec Management Platform
- troubleshooting tools
- Using the Log Viewer
- Using NSConfigurator
- Using Remote Altiris Agent Diagnostics
- Troubleshooting the Symantec Management Agent
- Troubleshooting Event inboxes
Backing up the Server and Database
- Performing a database back up